Old Head Signal Tower
The Tower was built in 1805 as a response to the threat of invasion from Napoleonic France. While it was described as a ‘fencible guardhouse’ giving the impression of a military fortification of some kind, its function was primarily as a station for passing urgent messages from its neighbouring stations west and east or from ships at sea by line of sight readings to Dublin Castle.
While it was lightly guarded it could not long withstand, unlike the much stronger Martello Towers built around the same time, any pounding from cannon fire. Luckily, it never came to that as the Napoleonic threat faded rapidly within a few years. The Signal Tower has spectacular views overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. Opened 10:00am - 5:00pm daily.
Approx 20 minutes by car from Actons Hotel.